What can I say? I love the taste of honey.
Well, the first batch didn't work out so well. So I made a few adjustments to both the ingredients and to the process, and now I have:
KILLER BEE No. 2
Batch size: 5 gallons
Mash:
6.5 lbs. Light wheat malt
4.0 lbs. Brewer's 2-row malt
2.5 lbs. Cara-Wheat malt
0.3 lbs. Flaked wheat
0.5 lbs. Rice hulls
2.5 lbs. Honey*
Mash water: 4.2 gallons
Hops:
1.0 oz. Hallertauer @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 6 min.
Yeast:
Wyeast American Wheat 1010
*Add the honey during the last 10 minutes of the boil, 4 minutes before adding the Cascade hops. Boiling the honey longer than 10 minutes will fade its flavor.
-----
OG: 1.076
FG: 1.018
IBU: 19.308
SRM: 19.44
ABV: 7.5%
4 comments:
So, this is just about ready for you to send me a couple of bottles, right?
Just about. We bottled it last weekend, and it will need to condition for about three or four weeks.
Well, it turned out great. We bottled half of it and put the other half on tap, and honestly? The rumors are true: beer always (ALWAYS) tastes better from the tap.
So now I've got to buy a kegerator system. *sigh*
But anyway. The color was darker than I was going for, and the head retention was a bit weak, but the flavor was absolutely delicious. The next time I brew this recipe, I'll make only a few minor changes (less Cara-Wheat and more white wheat malt; more wheat flake).
need my address?? :)
Post a Comment